Exercise on the WLC is not that tricky. Move for 10 minutes and count it as done. When I’m in a non-running mode as I have been the past several weeks (calf strain), I’m forced to get creative. Cindy has introduced to me the power of the exercise video. At first I might have poked some fun at the exerciser-by-video type. Yet I’m hear to publicly confess that I’m now that type. Would I prefer to be running outdoors over watching and following a tape indoors? Absolutely.
As a convert, I’m here to say the exercise video space is a good alternative. Warning, it is also a space filled with many, many alternatives. I fear we may own most of the alternatives. So why do I share this? Partially to set the truth free. But partially as an opportunity to…to…BUILD A ‘BEST OF’ LIST!! In order of almost great to great:
- Piyo – there’s a lady with a name I can’t spell or pronounce and she’s stretch-goodbody flexible. The video will make you work and parts will make you sore. It would be higher on the list if you believed her co-stars of exercise really liked each other. Unfortunately, there’s this creepy feeling that they don’t.
- T25 with Sean T –These are good but there are maybe too many videos. You’ll get sore but also wonder how good of a workout it really was.
- P90X – old school video that will kick your arse. Truthfully I can only do about 25% of the stuff in these videos but I feel good about nearly master the ‘Ab Ripper X’ video. If this list were based on the best quotes on the videos this on would have easily won. “You love it, but you hate it.” Plus one of his exercise compadres is named Jason which makes it sound like he’s yelling at me. Personalized torture.
- Insanity – if you get through the 60 days, you can be proud of the distance you will have come. I saw the most difference from any of the videos with this one. Unfortunately the high impact nature of these workouts have me thinking they are geared for a generation or two south of mine. And the winner of greatest exercise video we own is (drumroll please!)…
- T30 Max – another Sean T special. This one hits the sweet spot for time, will make you sore, has a strong mix of cardio plus a few folks scattered about the video taking a break here and there (this always makes me feel better). The goal is to increase your max over the 60 day video program.
There you have it. My personal ranking complete with my offer for any local readers to borrow all except the last mentioned video. The last is spoken for at least for the next 40 days.