Happy New Year! Yup – 17 days late. In 2012, this kind of tardiness will no longer be acceptable, however if it does happen I won’t worry about it. I will just breathe deeper. Be presenter,uh more present. I’ll write more. Smile more. Lecture less and go more places. I won’t shower any more than I did in 2012 but somehow I’ll look better. And younger. I’ll solve world hunger without even trying. I’ll cure all cancers. Ok…maybe I’m getting carried away with the last few starting with looking better. Make that look older and the list immediately will be more accurate. I’ll be at half-life when it is all said and done and won’t worry a second about it (insert age cliches here). Without further ado, I resolve…
- More active listening and engaging. Inquire. Prompt. Probe. Hi-jack the conversation to turn towards me less.
- Smile at and laugh with Cindy daily. Nothing feels better than laughing with Cindy.
- At least 2 kid-free trips in 2012 – keeping pace with 2011.
- Be at home eating at the table for 2 weekday dinners – put this in the “beat my head against the wall” category but I’m going to give it a go again in 2012. Might require a job location change to my living room at this point. Even that might not be enough – work from the dinner table??
- Find fewer teachable moments and enjoy more non-teaching moments.
- Continue weekly family activity night.
- Golf with the kids 1x per month (Apr-Aug).
- 1×1 time with each kid outside of the home monthly – the kids build the plan.
- Listen more – especially to Will. It scares me that he has fewer years left in the house than he has already had here.
Health and Fitness:
- Yoga 2x per week – love yoga and it seems to be good for my running.
- Push-ups 3x per week building up to 5 sets of 35 (currently 3x at 4 sets of 32).
- Ab exercises 15 min TWICE a week (“you love it but you hate it” – 100% increase from 2011).
- Run with Purpose – donate $2 (pre-corporate match) per mile every mile run in 2011; target 1300 miles.
- Run a 50k
- Run at least 3 trail races
- Run my age in marathons – means run at least 2 marathons to get my total to equal my age.
- Smile more; breathe more deeply; look for the positives
- Praise the good in others; Cheer their victories loudly
- Continue to rise everyday at 5 am.
- Read 16 books (up from 14 read in 2011) and continue to document via blog.
- Work: Work less and work smarter, be more confident and have more fun.
- Pursue “presentness” to help better engage with all people in my life (taking all tips/advice here).
- Share more via my blog; capture my “running” thoughts – I do some of my best thinking while running (and showering oddly)
- Travel with our entire family more – a potty trained Charlie is going to return us to life on the go, go, go!
- Attend 4 concerts Already 2 on the books for 2012 with purchased tickets for Radiohead in Atlanta and The Black Keys/Artic Monkeys here in Charlotte.
- Share the good work the Men’s Shelter of Charlotte is doing with more of my friends, co-workers and family.
- One late add: establish and maintain a zero-inbox email philosophy (GTD-style) – that’s right. 2 days in action and I’m loving it! Inspired by this article.
For those die-hard “SuttonScoopers” who like the art of comparing and contrasting you can see my end of year wrap-up from 2011 here. If you are really daring you can see 2010 here. Hmmm, these two sentences make me wonder whether my need to chronicle might be getting a bit out of hand. Maybe a 2013 resolution?? Happy New Year!