Well, nearly 8 full months have passed since I publicly set my goals for the New Year. To borrow a Covey-ism, a “sharpening of the saw” if you will. I fear that I’m not doing well, but if the saw was already sharp would I need goals in the first place…exactly. It should also be noted that Cindy still refers to this as the year of “less is more” – although not sure I see that as much as aspire to see it.
So, without further ado, wish me luck. The full original link can be found here. Here it goes (updates in blue):
- Plan 1 date night per month – this used to be about getting the sitter but in 2011 this means planning the events of the date. I think I have planned 3 total dates. That’s roughly 5 shy. Two of them were to the same restaurant (Passion8 Bistro). Do I have 9 in me to get to the average by YE?
- More active listening; less one-way talking. I’m trying harder hear. Success is likely in the eyes of the speaking…Cindy?
- Fall asleep on the couch less. Go to bed instead. I’M CURED!!!! Basically, I stopped sitting on the couch. Amazing what a chair can do.
- Smile at and laugh with Cindy daily. 6 days a week? I think so. The reminder to strive for even more was worth including this one…
- Be at home eating at the table for 2 weekday dinners (must make this a priority). Fail…I’m money with Fridays…must. do. better.
- Re-establish weekly family activity night – don’t limit to only games but also hikes, bike rides, movies, etc…Friday fun night with the neighbors helped here. Friday game night is back strong with school being back in.
- Golf with the kids 1x per month (Mar-Sept). SUCCEED! Will and I are playing 9 holes nearly weekly.
- 1×1 time with each kid outside of the home monthly – the kids build the plan. Each kid? Fail. 2 of 3? Winning!
- More laughter and less lecturing with my kids (2009/2010 repeat – still working on it). WIP – can always do better here…I just have so much to say. Maybe this one should read “say less”?
Health and Fitness:
- Yoga 2x per week (get back on the wagon here). Fail – not sure why.
- Push-ups 3x per week building up to 5 sets of 30 (currently 2x at 5 sets of 24). I’m at 4 sets of 30. Getting there.
- Ab exercises 15 min once a week (“you love it but you hate it”). Strong through May when I strained a abdominal muscle…still not 100% (or it’s a hernia/early appendicitis…).
- Continue no-meat diet (fish/shrimp are ok). SUCCESS!
- Run with Purpose – donate $2 (pre-corporate match) per mile every mile run in 2011; target 1300 miles. 1300 Miles may be tough with having to take 6 weeks off in May early June.
- Run sub 1:30 half marathon (either standalone or in a full) (targeting a fast 13 in mid-Nov)
- Run sub-30 hour BRR with 6-man team (run sub-8 min pace for my 6 legs). (3 weeks out)
- Register for the 2012 Boston Marathon! N/A yet (Sept 19 is my registration date…please, please, please be kind BAA!)
- Continue to rise everyday at 5 am. SUCCESS!
- Read 18 books (up from 15 read in 2010) and continue to document via blog. 12 books down, 6 to go.
- Work: be more confident, less fearful and have more fun. Definitely having more fun in this new role!
- Pursue “presentness” to help better engage with all people in my life (taking all tips/advice here). hmmm…I’ll get back to you here.
- Write for fun more (via blog) – target 2 entries per week or roughly 100 per year. About 60 entries off pace…maybe a touch aggressive?
- Visit more museums with the kids – target 6 in 2011. 2 down, 4 to go. Need a strong finish.
- Attend 4 concerts – I always love seeing live music and therefore I should do this more. 1 of 4 so far…unbelievably, Britney Spears (without kids…what am I doing?) will get me to 2…Must find my man card…
- Exceed 2010 charitable giving levels. On track and potentially already exceeded! Yay!
- Call my parents at least weekly – I always enjoy hearing from them. Uh-oh…need to do better.
I reserve the right to edit these through mid-January… Happy New Year!
Alright – good to see where I stand. Some bright spots (reading, diet, work, charity, golf and Cindy) and some definite areas to focus on (family dinners, museums, date night planning, less lecturing to name a few). Re-focus starts now…