I promise I am not sharing pictures of our 2nd beach trip in a little over a month to rub it in – I can hardly believe we are this fortunate. This trip we spent 7 days with our good friends the Seiberts down on Kiawah Island in South Carolina. From the beach it is a near twin of Hilton Head Island. From the inland it has many of the same amenities except maybe even more golf courses in a compressed space. Some unbelievably good golf courses too, namely the Ocean Course where the 2012 PGA Championship will be held. With a 7, 5, and 17 month old I was able to watch them from afar. Fitting a round of golf in between beach, pool, kayak, bike and ice cream outings would have been a test of time management. This was the first year in vacationing with the Seiberts that we were not oceanfront staring at the beach from our back porch. Likely our last too. The beachfront at Folly is too nice and too reasonably priced not to be a strong contender. Find a Folly place with a pool and we are in business. Coming back from several hours at the beach to relax with some time at the pool is pretty nice. We know this from our time at Hilton Head. Hilton Head may warrant a closer look too as the ability to bike throughout and access to non-beach amenities is far easier than Kiawah was. The biking at Kiawah was excellent with bike trails leading to all sides of the island. Will and I went kayaking off of the Kiawah River and loved it again! I can see a kayak in our future…maybe two. While paddling we ran across 2 porpoises swimming next to us – very cool. Three other highlights of our trip: Beach Charlie, Dinner in the Atlantic Room at the Ocean Course and Baby sea turtles.
- Charlie is an incredible beach baby. Put him down in the sand and let him loose. Pick him back up when it is time to go. No complaints. All happiness. Build a sand mound and he’s all the happier.
- The Atlantic Room is a special place to watch the sun go away while sitting out back looking out at the ocean. Their bread pudding is likely the best I’ve ever had. Souffle-like consistency on the inside. Mmm. Mmm.
- Watching baby sea turtles hatch from their nest and and helping them walk out to sea was a great experience for the kids to share on their last morning on the island.
- 42 Muirfield Drive in Turtle Cove left something to be desired. While highly serviceable for the 9 of us it desperately needed better lighting/seating and a screened in back porch. The home’s rating was not pushed upward when the upstairs A/C died on Thursday making for a work-like afternoon negotiating a same-day fix. Thankfully it was fixed that day otherwise we would have been in for a much tougher night at 91 degrees inside upstairs at 6pm. Having the pool next door and a short, nature-filled walk was a nice feature.
- Click here for a slide show of our Kiawah Island beach vacation.
- Click here for a slide show of our 4th of July activities.