Wow – this has likely been the fastest 6 months on record. Something tells me I’ll be saying more and more of this in the coming years. Here’s what I resolved to do in 2010 back in January (updates in Red if I need work here and Green if I’m keeping up):
- Setup 1 date per month (continue to go on 2 dates per month). I think I have done 2 and one was technically part of a mom’s day gift…need to step it up.
- Enable all “Girls Nights” and “Girls Trips” for Cindy. I haven’t said “no” to anything yet although work travel made it tough for Cindy to get with her friend Susan.
- Play together (e.g. cards, Wii, scrabble, etc.) 2x per month. We keep toying with “The Marriage Project” where we remove TV 4 days a week…nothing yet.
- Be at home eating at the table for 2 weekday dinners. I have good weeks and bad weeks. I am on the brink but claiming to be keeping my end of the deal here.
- Re-establish weekly family game night. We kept this through the end of March and then fell off the wagon. Time to start this one back up.
- Golf with the kids 1x per month. Does mini-golf count? Step it up Sutton!
- Weekly bike rides with the kids (need a little help from Stewart here…) All good here…if it is in Baxter we nearly always bike there as a family. Recent Hilton Head Trip helped here too!
- More laughter and less lecturing with my kids (2009 repeat – needs more work). Uh-oh…seems the higher the work stress the more I lecture…MUST…FIX…THIS…
Health and Fitness:
- Yoga 2x per week (2009 repeat). Doing good here and feeling better for it.
- Eat less chicken – continue no red meat. Doing great here. Very little chicken, actually meat for that matter, unless discretely pulling it out just isn’t possible.
- Run with Purpose – donate $1 per mile every mile run in 2010. Good. On track for a 1,000 mile year.
- Run 3:15.59 at the 2010 Thunder Road (Charlotte) Marathon. In December…might have been ambitious given the terrain. Myrtle will be the fallback.
- Run sub-30 hour BRR with 6-man team (run sub-8 min pace for my 6 legs). In September.
- Say more with less – fewer words in professional settings both with writing and speaking. Put myself on a work “word budget” and seems to be helping.
- Start everyday at 5:30am (latest). On the wagon and off occasionally…mostly on the wagon.
- Read 18 books (up from 14 read in 2009) and continue to document via blog. My pace is off a bit but due to some less-than-favorite books…
- Work: lead more proactively; Build framework for others to follow. Still working to better develop a conscious leadership style.
- Learn “presentness” to help better engage with all people in my life (taking all tips/advice here). Will I ever get this down?? A very tough one for me given my life of lists.
- Develop better gift-giving habits – surprise people with small thought-filled gifts. Baby steps. Tickets to “Wicked” was a pleaser for Mom’s day.
All in all 11 of 19 are trending in the right direction but the 8 that aren’t are the ones that matter more (e.g. family, kids, etc.). Need to take action to get those trending by year end. In addition I am adding a 20th resolution in the family category:
- Engage more with my parents. We had a great vacation together in HHI but I squandered great opportunities to really talk with them on so many topics (i.e. plans for the next 10 years; backyard tree house designs; 4th of July plans in Paris, TN; car health; Y-guides vs. our old days in Indian Guides, etc.). A miss. I can’t let life get in the way of these shared opportunities.
I’ll plan to check back in September with an update on progress. As always with life: a bit of a work in progress